Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the WPIX saturday afternoon movie

So, I had cracked a joke from Spies like Us" recently. The "doctor, doctor" scene to be exact . And it started me thinking about how modern technology has ended how I watch tv, and more specifically, movies I will NEVER see again. Like, "Spies like Us."
See, I don't really watch cable anymore. Not aimlessly. If I do switch from HDMI 3 (my computer) to HDMI 2 (the dvr; and HDMI 1 is dedicated to my Xbox 360), it is because there is a specific program I wish to watch. And, how do I know about this particular program? Someone probably tweeted about it, or posted it on a blog, and I set up an alert in my iPhone, and my iPhone said "oh yeah hey...that show is on in about 15 minutes." So, gone are the lazy Saturday afternoons, relaxing in front of the television and idly flipping channels until I find Bill Murray,"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" or catch Bender as Mr. Vernon "whether Barry Manilow knew that he raided his closet."
Now, I know some of these pop up on Netflix from time to time. I have Caddyshack on DVD, so I could watch it when I wanted. But, still, I have to actively seek it out. And, my Netflix Queue is full of programs I want to see, and haven't seen yet. And there are constantly new movies coming out that I want to see, and haven't seen yet. I've become better, in some aspects, at keeping up. But on the other hand, I miss those movies sometimes. If only someone could invent a device that just constantly streamed random programming, it could possibly be financed by advertising (that would of course be perfectly timed with snack and bathroom breaks). I can't imagine it would be so hard. I mean, we put a man on the moon for goodness sake. "

No comments: